Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman
Frequently Asked Questions:-
WHAT IS THE TIO?
"TIO" is short for the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman. The TIO is an independent, non-government scheme.
WHAT DOES THE "TIO" PROVIDE?
The TIO provides free, independent, just, informal and speedy resolution of complaints about telephone and internet services in Australia.
WHAT MATTERS CAN THE TIO INVESTIGATE?
The TIO has the authority to investigate complaints about the following matters:
If a complaint is out of its jurisdiction, the TIO will refer the complainant to the relevant organisation.
- mobile services
- internet access
- the standard telephone service
- operator and directory assistance
- printed and electronic white pages
- land access
- breaches of industry codes or standards
- the Customer Service Guarantee
WHAT MATTERS CAN THE TIO NOT INVESTIGATE?
- The content of a website, email or other online communication;
- Customer premises equipment, including computers and modems;
- Website design and website hosting services;
- Matters of government policy on communications;
- The setting of tariffs and charges;
- Disputes between ISPs and other members of the telecommunications industry;
- Complaints where legal proceedings have commenced.
WHEN SHOULD I CONTACT THE TIO?
The TIO is an office of last resort, which means it can only take up a complaint if the customer has first tried to resolve it with their telephone company or ISP. In most instances, complaints handled by the TIO result in an agreement between the disputing parties.
HOW DOES THE TIO RESOLVE DISPUTES?
The TIO approaches complaints from the point of view of what is considered to be fair and reasonable, rather than from a strictly legal perspective. The TIO's investigations officers examine each complaint on its merits, and carefully investigate both sides of the dispute. Information, such as account records, technical reports and copies of correspondence may be requested from both the complainant and the telecommunications company or ISP to assist with the investigation. Most complaints are resolved over the phone within 24 hours.
HOW DO I MAKE A COMPLAINT?
Before lodging a complaint with the TIO you should:
You can lodge a complaint with the TIO by telephone, fax, mail, email, or TTY for hearing or speech impaired people.
- Try to solve the problem with your telephone company or internet service provider (ISP).
- Try to get the name of the person you spoke to at the company.
- Gather any papers relevant to the complaint, such as contracts, bills or copies of correspondence. Please do not send original documents to the TIO.
Lodge a complaint with the TIO on-line
Lodge a complaint with the TIO by phone, fax, or mail
Click here to view the latest media releases and articles from the TIO.